We present a methodology for obtaining explicit solutions to infinite time horizon optimal stopping problems involving general, one-dimensional, It\^o diffusions, payoff functions that need not be smooth and state-dependent discounting. This is done within a framework based on dynamic programming techniques employing variational inequalities. The aim of this paper is to facilitate the solution of a wide variety of problems, particularly in finance or economics.
|Number of pages||28|
|Journal||IMA Journal of Mathematical Control and Information|
|Publication status||Published - 17 Dec 2015|
- Stochastic Control
- Optimal stopping
- Dynamic programming
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Applied Mathematics
- Statistics and Probability
- Management Science and Operations Research
- Statistics, Probability and Uncertainty
FingerprintDive into the research topics of 'The solution of some discretionary stopping problems'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.
- School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences - Associate Professor
- School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences, Actuarial Mathematics & Statistics - Associate Professor
Person: Academic (Research & Teaching)