Research Output per year
Zeinab’s expertise lie in mineralogy, petrology, and geochemistry in particular fluid-rock interactions in earth systems.
Zeinab has recently won a NERC-funded fellowship from the Daphne Jackson Trust in order to move back into academic work. Zeinab’s current research concentrate on Deepwater sedimentary systems: especially contourite deposits and paleocirculation; furthering knowledge of deep-water processes, facies and architecture. Zeinab’s work is on the sedimentary rocks from the Expedition 339 on Mediterranean Outflow.
- Esentia, I., Stow, D. and Smillie, Z, 2018: Contourite drifts and associated bedforms. Submarine Geomorphology. Accepted
- Smillie, Z. and Stow, D., 2017: Contourites and Climate: New Evidence from the Gulf of Cadiz, IODP Expedition 339. 7th Annual Meeting of the Marine Alliance for Science and Technology for Scotland (MASTS), Glasgow, UK.
- Smillie, Z., Stow, Z., Wilkin, J, Magill, C, Boyce, A., Wagner, T, El Sheikh, M., 2017: Geochemical signatures in contourites from the Gulf of Cadiz. 3rd International Conference Deep-Water Circulation, Wuhan, China.
- Abou El Maaty M.A., Taman Z., and Abdel Wahab W., 2012: Characterization of the Atalla talc-carbonate rocks, central Eastern Desert, Egypt. Egypt. J. Geol., 56(1), 67-83.
- Ali-Bik M.W., Taman Z., El Kalioubi B., and Abdel Wahab W., 2012: Serpentinite-hosted talc-magnesite deposits of Wadi Barramiya area, Eastern Desert, Egypt: characteristics, petrogenesis and evolution. J. African, Sci. 64, 77–89.
- Soltan A.M., Taman Z., El Kalioubi B., 2011: Recycling of Ornamental Stones Hazardous Wastes. Natural Resources, 2, 244-249.
- Osman A.F. and Taman Z., 2011: Geochemistry and protoliths of the Hatta metamorphic sole marbles, northern Oman Mountains, United Arab Emirates. Egypt. J. Geol., 55, 349-373.
- Soltan A.M., Taman Z., El Kalioubi B., 2011: Recycling of ornamental stones hazardous wastes. 31st Cement and Concrete Science Conference - Novel Developments and Innovation in Cementitious Materials, Imperial College London, United Kingdom.
- Soltan A. M., Taman Z. and El Kalioubi B. A., 2011: Recycling of Shak Al-Thoaban Wastes for Lime Production. The Third International Forum and Exhibition on Economics of Mineral Resources in the Arab Countries. Cairo, Egypt, p. 51.
- Ali-Bik M.W., Taman Z., El Kalioubi B., and Abdel Wahab W., 2010: Petrogenesis of Barramiya talc-carbonate rocks, Central Eastern Desert, Egypt, Sinai International Conference for Geology and Development (SICGD), abstract, p. 68.
- Ali-Bik M.W., Taman Z., El Kalioubi B., and Abdel Wahab W., 2009: Talc-carbonate rocks of Central Eastern Desert as a natural magnesia source: characterization and evaluation, The Geological Society of Egypt (GSE) - 47th Annual Meeting, abstract, p. 25.
- Taman Z., Osman A.M., Scott P.W., and Hilmy M.E, 2005: Mineralogy and geochemistry of the Banded Iron Formations (BIFs) of Semna and Abu Marawat areas – northern Eastern Desert – Egypt. M.E.R.C. Ain Shams Univ., Earth Sci. Ser., 19, 1-17.
- Taman Z., Scott P.W., Osman A., Hilmy M.E., 2002: Mineralogy and geochemistry of some Proterozoic Banded Iron Formations from the Eastern Desert of Egypt. 18th International Mineralogical Association Congress in Edinburgh. p. 291.
- Osman A. and Taman Z. 1996: The genetic significance of gold-bearing sulphides from Atalla gold mine, Eastern Desert, Egypt. 9th Ann. Meeting of the Mineralogical Society of Egypt, Cairo.
Dr. Zeinab Smillie (nee Taman) joined the Institute of Petroleum Engineering in February 2017 after a period of career break due to family reasons. Prior to that she worked for seven years as a lecturer at Ain Shams University in Egypt, preceded by many years of working as assistant lecturer in the same University. Zeinab studied for her PhD in both Camborne School of Mines (University of Exeter) and Ain Shams University. She was awarded her PhD for the thesis entitled "Mineralogical and geochemical studies on Some Banded Iron Formations from the Eastern Desert of Egypt, and their industrial uses". The thesis also covered the volcano-sedimentary rocks associated with the Banded Iron Formations.
Zeinab has over 20 years’ experience as a geologist with experience in Mineralogy, Petrology, Geochemistry, GIS, Remote Sensing, and Environmental Geology.
During her academic career in Ain Shams University, she also took some roles including: Programme Coordinator (Geology-Chemistry BSc Program), Petrology Laboratory Supervisor, Quality Assurance Officer (QAAP and CIQAP Project- Quality Assurance Unit), Deputy Examinations Officer and Coordinator of European Commission - CORDIS 7th Framework Programme (FP7).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed)
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Serpentinite-hosted talc-magnesite deposits of Wadi Barramiya area, Eastern Desert, Egypt: characteristics, petrogenesis and evolutionAli-Bik, M. W., Smillie (nee Taman), Z., El Kalioubi , B. & Ibrahim, W. A. W. 14 Feb 2012 In : Journal of African Earth Sciences. 64, p. 77-89 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article