Research Output per year
- Single and two-phase flow within naturally and lab-induced deformed rocks.
- Conditions for fault creation and fault re-activation. Critical stress state. Instability/sliding phenomena. Frictional behaviour (focus on stable sliding and stick-slip sliding modes). Fractures and faults interactions.
- Laboratory versus Field: Understanding induced seismicity due to fluid and gas flows. Understanding the role of pore pressure, fluid/gas flow and temperature variations on the creation and/or re-activation of micro-faults at the laboratory scale.
- Localised deformation in rocks and sediments. Nucleation and evolution of deformation bands, such as dilation bands, dilatant and compactant shear bands and shear-enhanced and compaction bands at the laboratory scale. Transition from brittle to ductile behaviour.
- Application of a range of experimental methods with different resolution and sensitivity such as: a) X-ray Computed Tomography, b) Neutron Radiography and Tomography, c) 3D Digital Image Correlation, d) Passive wave monitoring (e.g. Ultrasonic Tomography), e) Active wave monitoring (e.g. Acoustic Emission monitoring), f) Source Mechanisms and Moment Tensor Analysis, g) Microstructural analysis based on optical and scanning electron microscopy.
- Pore-scale characterisation, pore network extraction and fluid flow front propagation and fluid flow simulations.
- Shear experiments on 2D (analogue) granular materials. Investigation of the impact of different shape of grains on the mechanical behaviour of a granular material. Comparison of experimental results with numerical simulations using Discrete Element Method (Molecular Dynamics).
Roles & Responsibilities
- G10UG (SCQF L10) - Introduction to Petroleum Engineering: Geology and Geophysics
- G11FA (SCQF L11) - Flame Appraisal: Petroleum Geology and Geophysics
- G11RG (SCQF L11) - Rock Mechanics, Geomechanics and Geophysics: Rock Mechanics, Geomechanics
- G11GM (SCQF L11) - Geomechanics and Flow Mechanics: Geomechanics
- G11DP (SCQF L11) - Design Project: tutorials and presentation skills
- G11EP (SCQF L11) - Field Evaluation Project: presentation skills
- G11TP (SCQF L11) - Field Exploration Project: presentation skills
- G11IP (SCQF L11)- Individual Projects: presentation skills
- Ms Soriano Ilaria (2015-2019) : 'Bands of localised deformation in weakly cemented sands: the example of Bedoin (southern France)' - First Supervisor
- Mr Mohammad Madankan (2017- ): 'Neutron and x-ray imaging of fluid flow and deformation in carbonates' - First Supervisor
- Mr Hosein Doryanidaryuni (2017- ): 'Experimental and theoretical study of gas and condensate flow and fluid confinement in unconventional reservoirs' - Second Supervisor
- Ms Nektaria Panou (2019): 'Assessment of residual oil in coquina samples by means of Neutron Tomography' - First Supervisor
- Mr Vivek Singh (2019): 'Effects of Fracturing Fluids on Unconventional Shale Mechanical Properties and Proppant Embedment' - First Supervisor
- Mr Berry Paul (2018) : 'Laminaria Oilfield: Wellbore stability data review' - First Supervisor
- Mr Gjini Eldi (2015) : 'Shear and Compaction Band impact on the Fluid Flow within Vosges Sandstone' - Second Supervisor
- Course leader (Edinburgh, Malaysia and IDL) for Flame Appraisal (G11FA - SCQF L11)
- Course leader (Edinburgh) for Geothermal Energy (G11GE - SCQF L11)
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
High-resolution large area scanning electron microscopy: an imaging tool for porosity and diagenesis of carbonate rock systemsBuckman, J., Charalampidou, E-M. C., Zihms, S., Lewis, M. H., Corbett, P. W. M., Couples, G. D., Jiang, Z. & Huang, T., Jan 2019, Carbonate Pore Systems: New Developments and Case Studies. SEPM Society for Sedimentary Geology, (SEPM Special Publications; vol. 112).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter (peer-reviewed)
Research output: Contribution to conference › Poster
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned report
Activities per year
Activity: Publication peer-review and editorial work › Publication peer-review